domingo, 14 de setembro de 2008

DAVID FOSTER WALLACE

Há dois dias, a 12 deste mês de Setembro, suicidou-se aquele que era considerado um ficcionista genial. David Foster Wallace pôs termo à vida aos 46 anos de idade.

Há bem pouco tempo declarou nesta entrevista a Laura Miller o seguinte:

«I've always thought of myself as a realist. I can remember fighting with my professors about it in grad school. The world that I live in consists of 250 advertisements a day and any number of unbelievably entertaining options, most of which are subsidized by corporations that want to sell me things. The whole way that the world acts on my nerve endings is bound up with stuff that the guys with leather patches on their elbows would consider pop or trivial or ephemeral. »

E logo a seguir declarou:

«Personally, I think it's a really neat time. I've got friends who disagree. Literary fiction and poetry are real marginalized right now. There's a fallacy that some of my friends sometimes fall into, the ol' "The audience is stupid. The audience only wants to go this deep. Poor us, we're marginalized because of TV, the great hypnotic blah, blah." You can sit around and have these pity parties for yourself. Of course this is bullshit. If an art form is marginalized it's because it's not speaking to people. One possible reason is that the people it's speaking to have become too stupid to appreciate it. That seems a little easy to me. »